Published on Wednesday, May 22, 2019
Mosquito Bite Prevention
The Good, the Bad and the Dangerous
If you’ve ever wondered which mosquito control methods work and which ones will not read on for a summary of the good, the bad and the dangerous.
Good Tips To Help Keep Mosquitoes Away
- Spray for mosquito's, consider a natural product that is safe for people, pets and the environment.
- Check items near your home that can hold water (like planters, birdbaths or trash cans). Dump out the water and scrub the inside of the item.
- Get rid of things you’re not using that can collect water (like old flower pots, buckets, tires, or old toys).
- Fix any leaking outdoor faucets
- Fix landscape grade to avoid any standing water on your property, ditches, and puddles are excellent places for mosquitoes to breed.
- Clean your gutters and any drainage pipes or catch basins at least twice a year.
- Use screens on windows and doors.
- Keep pools and ponds maintained.
- Have your lawn mowed as needed to avoid having tall overgrown grass.
- Get a large fan for your patio or deck. Mosquitoes have weak fragile wings so they are easily swept away by changing currents.
- Look into cedar oil. The U.S. Department of Agriculture recognizes cedar oil as the number one biological insect control agent.
- Increase natural mosquito predators. Bats can eat hundreds if not thousands of mosquitoes a night. So, hanging some bat houses will definitely ...