Published on Tuesday, January 16, 2018
Whether you hire a company for snow removal services or do it yourself, consider these tips:
- Winter weather and snowfall totals can be unpredictable. Be prepared with food, gas, shovels, de-icing materials and a generator so you can relax no matter what comes your way.
- Mark your driveway with reflective posts so your driveway gets plowed and not your lawn and landscape. Figure out where the snow will go and where it will cause problems.
- Relax and stay at home until the winter storm is over. Your four wheel drive or all wheel drive vehicle is not as safe as you think. Take a break and stay home until the roads are cleaned. Have an enjoyable snow day off like you did as a kid.
- Dress warm and stay alert if you are going out in the storm.
- Keep up with the storm. Remove a few inches of snow at a time instead of a large amount. Typically snow removal should be done every 4 to 6” so it’s manageable and so you can get out or people can get in if there is an emergency.
- Snow shoveling is like working out, so don’t overexert yourself and stay in the right mindset. Consider using a snowblower, then there will be little to no snow shoveling. Better yet hire a local snow plowing service.
- Prevent salt damage by switching from salt to safer ice melting products. Salt destroys everything from grass and plants to walkways and driveways. Spending a few extra bucks for better ice melting products will help prevent more costly repairs from happening in the...