Mosquito Bite Prevention
The Good, the Bad and the Dangerous
If you’ve ever wondered which mosquito control methods work and which ones will not read on for a summary of the good, the bad and the dangerous.
Good Tips To Help Keep Mosquitoes Away
- Spray for mosquito's, consider a natural product that is safe for people, pets and the environment.
- Check items near your home that can hold water (like planters, birdbaths or trash cans). Dump out the water and scrub the inside of the item.
- Get rid of things you’re not using that can collect water (like old flower pots, buckets, tires, or old toys).
- Fix any leaking outdoor faucets
- Fix landscape grade to avoid any standing water on your property, ditches, and puddles are excellent places for mosquitoes to breed.
- Clean your gutters and any drainage pipes or catch basins at least twice a year.
- Use screens on windows and doors.
- Keep pools and ponds maintained.
- Have your lawn mowed as needed to avoid having tall overgrown grass.
- Get a large fan for your patio or deck. Mosquitoes have weak fragile wings so they are easily swept away by changing currents.
- Look into cedar oil. The U.S. Department of Agriculture recognizes cedar oil as the number one biological insect control agent.
- Increase natural mosquito predators. Bats can eat hundreds if not thousands of mosquitoes a night. So, hanging some bat houses will definitely help.
- Look into all natural lemon eucalyptus oil. The U.S. Center for Disease Control issued a statement in 2008 recommending lemon eucalyptus equally to DEET for mosquito control.
- Cover up! It may sound obvious, but the most horrifying mosquito episodes occur when outdoor enthusiasts fail to dress appropriately. After dusk opt for long sleeves and full-length pants. Keep an extra set of clothes in the car or backpack for summertime emergencies.
- Drink frozen or heavily iced beverages to lower your body temperature and diminish sweating. The carbon dioxide you excel while breathing increases with heat and exercise, guiding mosquitoes to your vicinity.
- Go light on the beer and wine. Mosquitoes are attracted to the alcohol essence that is released through your pores.
- Forget the perfume or cologne. Mosquitoes will appreciate the scent even more than the people you want to impress.
- Invest in a mosquito tent for outdoor gatherings. Your guests will thank you for creating a party atmosphere conducive to fun and relaxation.
Bad Mosquito Control Methods
According to the American Mosquito Control Association, the following mosquito control tactics don’t work as well as consumers perceive:
- Bug Zappers: Two independent studies found no significant difference in the number of mosquitoes found in yards with or without bug zappers. Such devices catch huge numbers of non-pest insects and relatively few mosquitoes.
- Citronella Candles: Citronella Candles may produce a mild repellent effect, but they don’t offer a significant increase in protection.
- Electronic Devices: At least 10 studies have found ultrasonic devices to be totally useless.
- Backyard Misting Systems: Misters needlessly inject pesticides into the environment affecting mosquitoes and beneficial insects alike.
The Dangers Of Conventional Mosquito Control Pesticides
Before you consider using traditional treatments, take a moment to research the active ingredient online. You may not like what you find. Traditional DEET products are notorious for causing rashes, headaches, nausea, and disorientation. The much-touted pyrethrum-based insecticides “derived from chrysanthemums” are not as safe as once believed. According to an EPA survey of poison control centers, pyrethrum-based pesticides cause more insecticide poisoning incidents than any other pesticides except for organophosphates.
Due to the widespread controversy over traditional chemical mosquito control methods, cedar oil insect formulations have gained increasing popularity and respect in the pest control industry.
1.888.Lawntec is at the forefront of the organic mosquito control movement. We are based in the heart of New Jersey, serving Berkeley Heights, New Providence, Summit and other nearby towns.
Please browse through our website at 1888Lawntec.com and then make the right choice and contact us for a free property evaluation and all-natural mosquito control program pricing.
1.888.LawnTec Services Inc. “Environmentally Responsible Lawn, Plant & Pest Specialists” ®
1888LawnTec.com All rights reserved.